Andi Miller - CVPosted on 5th September 2021
Skills and Experience
|Scala||7 years of experience, with 4 years of purely functional development, current main language.|
|Java||Experience using Java for backend development.|
|C||Commercial experience writing patches for OpenSIPS and Asterisk while at Gradwell.|
|Python||Used for many projects including open source infrastructure for EVE Online alliances.|
|Haskell||Personal projects and small work tooling.|
|Rust||Personal projects and open source projects.|
|Functional Programming||Experience writing purely functional software in multiple languages.|
|Stream Processing||Kafka, zeromq, RabbitMQ, Pulsar and other high throughput streaming technologies.|
|Big Data||Hadoop, Elastic, Cassandra and Spark for storage and aggregation.|
|Distributed Systems||Have built concurrent distributed systems with actors and consensus systems.|
|Architecture||Have experience building data processing architectures at scale.|
|Language Development||Experience implementing domain specific languages with technologies including ANTLR, fastparse and droste.|
|Observability||Enthusiastic about metrics and tracing, having used them extensively.|
- Optimisation for HyperLogLog which can reduce memory use by up to N where N is the number of nodes in the cluster.
- Included lazy bucketing and pre-allocation of data around an Elastic cluster.
- Open source JSON processing language used for data processing at DataSift and Meltwater
- JVM first, integrated with Kafka Streams, Hadoop and Elastic.
- Implemented with ANTLR and Scala.
Senior Software Engineer, Meltwater UK, 2018 - Present
- Developed purely functional Scala microservices with the typelevel stack.
- Worked in an agile team using scrum development practices.
- Practiced DevOps maintaining our own infrastructure and being on call.
- Practiced Type Driven Development and Test Driven Development.
- Maintained an in-house Domain Specific Language for transforming JSON at scale in Scala.
- Worked on ingestion of firehoses into Meltwater’s systems.
- Helped improve and develop the Meltwater Public API
Platform Engineer, DataSift, 2013 - 2018
- Developed microservices in Scala with a combination of Dropwizard and scalaz-based stacks, switching to typelevel later.
- Worked in agile teams using scrum development practices.
- Co-developed an in-house Domain Specific Language for transforming JSON at scale in Scala. -* Worked on privacy-first analysis of Facebook data in Facebook’s datacentre.
- Worked on the DataSift open source client libraries, with a focus on the Python one
VoIP Engineer, Gradwell dot com Limited, 2011 - 2012
- Maintained and developed a large award-winning Open Source VoIP stack
- Regularly worked with both Support and Sysadmin departments
- Worked in a variety of languages, including Perl, C, Python and Ruby
- Helped migrate from CVS to Mercurial
- Helped move to and administer Jira
- Re-engineered the VoIP platform to work across multiple datacentres.
- Developed deployment infrastructure with puppet to reduce deployment time from 10 hours to 1.
Freelance Coder (Google Summer of Code), Google, 2010
- Did some experimental work on integrating open source video and audio editors Pitivi and Jokosher
- Worked with GTK and DBus
B. Eng. Software Engineering, University of Wales Aberystwyth, 2009 - 2013
- Averaged over 70% in Programming modules.
- Opted into Open Source and Artificial Intelligence modules.
Alton College, Alton, Surrey, 2006 - 2008
- 4 A-Levels including Futher Maths
- 1 AS-level